Today was a day for healthy eating.
I had to.
This past weekend included a bachelorette party, lots of bourbon, an Italian Sausage & Capicola sub at 1am and more bourbon.
You catch my drift?
We’re talking total disrespect for my body. Criminal, in fact.
The following morning texts to my friends looked like this: Why are you friends with me?!?!
Yes, I’m dramatic.
Today was a day for much needed healing and recovery and what better place to start than with a nice light salad?
Okay, so this isn’t your average run of the mill salad with greens but it follows the same rules: Protein. Veggies. Vinaigrette. Toss.
I absolutely adore this salad; it’s perfect. The chicken skin is hella crispy. The meat is briny, salty and succulent. The cucumbers and tomatoes are enrobed in vinaigrette goodness. Thai chilis add heat. Fresh mint & cilantro cools it off. So many different flavors and textures.
Y’all know I love bringing levels to this shit.
I like to serve this with jasmine rice to soak up all the love but it’s great single, too.
Miss Independent, that’s why I love her.
Grilled Thai-Thigh Cucumber Salad
- 4 skin-on boneless chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, finely minced
- 1 tsp garlic, finely minced
- 1 Thai chili, finely minced
- 1 tsp Adobo
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 medium-sized tomatoes
- 1/2 seedless cucumber, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup scallions, thinly sliced on diagonal
- 3 tbsp fresh mint, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 Thai chilis (if you like it spicy), finely minced
- 1 tsp garlic, finely minced
- Kosher salt, to taste
- black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- Add all of the ingredients, minus the chicken thighs, to a bowl and whisk together. Add the chicken thighs and coat well with the marinade. Use your hands if you’re a G. Cover with plastic and refrigerate, at least one hour.
- Remove the chicken from the fridge about 10-15 minutes before cooking. Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Remove chicken from bowl and blot off any excess liquid with a paper towel. Grill skin-side-down until the skin becomes a deep golden brown and crispy. About 3-4 minutes. And don’t you dare move it all around. Let it sit, untouched, for at LEAST 3-4 minutes. Walk away if you can’t resist the urge.
- Flip over and cook through, about 1-2 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and let rest. Night night.
- Prepare the salad and vinaigrette about a half an hour before grilling the chicken. We really want the cucumber and tomatoes to soak up the vinaigrette. In a large bowl, add the sliced cucumber and tomatoes. The tomatoes should be cut in segments, with seeds and guts removed. To do this, quarter your tomato. Cut out/pull out the tomato guts from each quarter. Cut each quarter into thirds. Voila!
- Roughly chop the cilantro and mint. Thinly slice the scallions. Set aside.
- Combine all of the ingredients with a whisk and pour over the cucumbers and tomatoes. Toss to combine. Mix the salad every 10 minutes.
- Add any juice from the cooked chicken thighs after resting.
- Taste to see if it needs any additional salt or pepper.
Slice the chicken thighs into fifths, being careful to keep the skin attached. Add to the cucumber-tomato mixture, along with the fresh herbs. Toss to coat with vinaigrette.
Serve alone or with jasmine rice. Can be enjoyed hot, room temperature or cold. Win-win-win.