This week was successful.
I listened and danced to a lot of Miguel (Kaleidoscope Dream); updated my NY State voter registration address because, Trump; put together my new work computers with the help of my good friend, Louis Laurent Rosé D’Anjou 2015; went to the gym (that’s a lie) and, finally, did some online shopping because J Crew is the devil (30% off with code: SPRINGSALE).
And now, here I am, writing a blog post after neglecting Scooter Pie for far too long.
Enough is enough.
Spring is here and so is my recipe for Lemon Curd Linzer Cookies.
In the words of Miguel, “Only you can save me, I’m a sinner, baby”.
Lemon Curd Linzer Cookies
- 3/4 cup salted butter, cubed & room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- powdered sugar (for dusting)
- 4 lemons (3/4 cup lemon juice)
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 8 tbsp (1 stick) salted butter
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and granulated sugar on medium speed until fluffy and light in color, about 4 minutes.
- Reduce the speed to low and add egg yolk and vanilla until incorporated.
- Slowly add both flours and mix on medium speed until well incorporated.
- Form the dough into two flat discs and refrigerate 1 hour to rest.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface, one disc at a time, until the dough is 1/8″ thick.
- Dip cookie cutters in flour to prevent from sticking. You will need two different size cutters – one for the shape of the cookie, itself, and the other to cut out the center. Cut out the center of half of the cookies. Place cut out cookie dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment and refrigerate for 30 mins.
- Bake cookies for about 20 minutes (rotating the cookie sheet half-way through), or until the edges are golden brown.
- Let cool on wire rack.
- Zest lemons and reserve lemon juice.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat together the butter, sugar and lemon zest over medium speed until fluffy and light in color, about 4 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, over low speed, scraping the bowl, as needed.
- Add lemon juice and salt.
- Scrape down the bowl and mix until well-incorporated.
- Add the mixture to a medium-sized saucepan and cook over medium-low heat. Stir the mixture with a rubber spatula constantly, scraping the bottom and sides of the pan often to prevent the eggs from cooking. Cook the mixture until it has noticeably thickened, about 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- Cover the surface of the curd with plastic wrap and refrigerate, at least one hour.
Assemble the cookies:
- Using a fine mesh strainer, dust the powdered sugar over the cookies that have the center cut out.
- Spoon the lemon curd mixture onto the cookie base (cookies without the cut-out).
- Top with the powdered-sugar dusted cookie.
- Take picture and upload to all social media sites.
*recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour Linzer Cookies