As the year starts winding down I go into panic-mode, extra dramatic.
What goals have I achieved this year? What goals haven’t I achieved this year? Do I have enough time left, in this year, to achieve them?
Where is my future husband and why is he taking so long to show up? Why are ALL my friends having babies?
Do I buy new leather boots or set aside that money for Christmas gifts?
Where should I go for New Year’s Eve? Why are hotels booked already? Why are flights so expensive? Why is the travel industry trying to take advantage of me?
Why am I not POTUS yet? What am I doing with my life? WHAT AM I DOING?!?!
Yup, that’s where I’m at.
Today I’m going to give my mind a break from all my madness and watch episode after episode of Barefoot Contessa’s Back to Basics (now streaming on Netflix!) while drinking Malbec Rosé and eating this chili.
Smokey Chicken Chili
This chili is just all-around fantastic. Don’t be intimidated by the list of ingredients; it’s very easy to make and the ingredients, very easy to find. As with all my recipes, I encourage you to make it your own. Add a little more of this, reduce a little more of that. Omit that ingredient, add a new one. Three ingredients, though, that I feel are essential to this recipe are: apple cider vinegar, honey & smoked paprika. The vinegar & honey work as a team to help balance the chili. It’s a harmonious experience. The smoked paprika gives it the smoke–key in creating chili perfection. It’s, like, a rule.
- 1 roast chicken, de-boned, de-skinned, diced (about 4 cups)
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup carrots, peeled & diced
- 1 hot pepper, diced (habanero, poblano, jalepeño, etc), optional
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups canned diced tomatoes (preferably fire-roasted)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 can garbanzo beans, drained (about 2 cups)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ancho chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- In a dutch oven over medium-high heat, add a few tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Add peppers, onion, garlic and carrots. Sauté until the vegetables have lightly caramelized.
- Add the dry spices, mixing to toast, about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, mixing to cook out the raw tomato flavor, about one minute.
- Add the canned tomatoes and chicken stock. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and add the chicken, garbanzo beans, honey and apple cider vinegar. Mix to incorporate.
- Cover and cook in the oven until the chili has reduced to a stew-consistency, about 1 1/2-2 hours. Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper, as needed.
Serving Suggestions: Serve over rice. Top with guacamole or avocados. Add cheddar cheese. Dust with chopped fresh cilantro. Serve with cornbread. Top with sour cream & a lime wedge. Pair with an ice cold beer.
Adapted from Jamie Oliver’s Turkey Con Chili
Leave a Reply