Bacon in the waffles.
Sausage in the waffles.
Cheese in the waffles.
Chives in the waffles.
Fried egg ON DA WAFFLES.
It’s easy. It’s brilliant. It’s hearty. It’s what weekends should look like.
- 1 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour, all-purpose
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup breakfast sausage, cooked & diced
- 1/2 cup bacon, cooked & diced
- 1/2 cup Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp fresh scallions, thinly sliced
- eggs, for frying & blessing the waffles (optional)
- 6 slices provolone cheese (optional)
- Heat waffle iron & coat with non-stick spray or melted butter.
- Preheat oven to 300°F
- In a bowl, combine buttermilk, sugar, salt, pepper & eggs with a whisk. Incorporate dry ingredients, being careful to not over mix.
- Whisk in melted butter.
- Add sausage, bacon, cheese & scallions and fold together with a wooden spoon.
- Pour 3/4 cup of batter in waffle iron and cook until deep golden brown. Place cooked waffle on a cookie sheet in the oven to keep warm while cooking the remainder of the waffles.
- If you would like to top the waffles with cheese, place the slices of provolone on the waffles & let melt in the oven.
- Fry eggs & top the waffles.
Really great suggestion: top with maple syrup & hot sauce. YES.